|Disposal Guidelines for Household Hazardous Waste
Some household items have special disposal requirements. Many hazardous materials can be brought to the City's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility by appointment. Some items can be disposed of safely by following guidelines below. If you are unsure which method is appropriate, please call Solid Waste Services at 480-782-3510.
Household Hazardous Waste - List of Common Items found in the home (PDF)
Special Material Disposal Guidelines
- Alkaline batteries - AA, AAA, C, D & 9V batteries are not considered hazardous material and can be placed in your household trash.
- Rechargeable batteries - Nickel Cadmium (NiCad), Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), and Lithium Ion (Li-ion) from cameras, phones, and laptop computers need special disposal. Bring to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility or to a local retailer who accepts these batteries
- Lead Acid - Auto, boat, and rechargeable lead acid batteries from toy vehicles require special disposal. Bring to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility or to a local retailer where you originally purchased the battery
- CFL & Fluorescent Bulbs Fact Sheet - Unbroken CFL & Fluorescent bulbs can be brought to the HHW Collection Facility by appointment. Fact sheet includes information about how to dispose of bulbs should they break.
- Left Over Paint Disposal Guidelines - Fuller paint cans should be brought to the HHW collection center, but the flyer gives instructions for proper disposal for cans that are nearly empty or already dry.
- Prescription Drug & Over-the-Counter Medication Disposal Guidelines - Medication is NOT accepted at the HHW collection center. Guide attached explains proper disposal for prescription and over-the counter medications.
- Sharps (Syringes & Lancets) Disposal Guidelines - This brochure helps resident become sharp smart! Medical sharps or lancets used in homes to check blood sugar, administer medications or vaccinate pets should be secured in a rigid, hard plastic container prior to disposal in your black trash can. No other household medical waste is accepted in the City of Chandler's solid waste programs.
- Ammunition and gun powder is not accepted at the City's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. Call Chandler Police Department at 480-782-4130 for disposal guidelines
Appointments are required. Please call 480-782-3510 to make an appointment today! Services CANNOT be scheduled via email.
Please Note: Appointments for HHW drop-off must be scheduled in advanced.
Scheduled appointments are required to ensure a safe environment for the public and for managing the quantities of household hazardous waste delivered. Please call 480-782-3510 to schedule your appointment for dropping off household hazardous waste. Services CANNOT be scheduled via e-mail.
Please remember: Verification of City residency is required. Residents should bring their most recent City of Chandler utility bill, showing city-provided refuse services. Residents also should be prepared to show picture identification, such as a driver's license.
Please review the Guidelines below prior to arrival.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility Guidelines:
- Materials are accepted by appointment only.
- Make a list of the quantity and type of materials you want to bring in prior to calling 480-782-3510 to schedule your appointment.
- We recommend you place something under the materials to protect your vehicle to prevent leaks or spills.
- Make sure all items are marked. If you do not know what type of chemical is in a container notify attendant.
- Place items in your vehicle so the attendant can easily recognize and remove items.
- Place small items in a box or container that can be removed from your vehicle. Personal containers, such as plastic storage boxes, will not be emptied and returned.
- DO NOT place multiple items in plastic bags. If a single items is leaking, place that one item in the bag and notify attendant.
- Materials that are placed in plastic bags or not properly marked may be subject to refusal.
Back to Solid Waste Services Home Page