The Chandler Chuck Wagon Cook-off invites adventurous cooks, ages 10-15 years old, to sign up for our Junior Cook-Off! If you think you‘ve got what it takes to cook up a dessert that would please any Old West cowboy on the trail, then register for this great event! Top three desserts receive awards.
The Junior Cook-Off took place on Friday, November 10 @ Tumbleweed Ranch.
Application and Waiver for participants
- Youth will be assigned to work with a Wagon Team, who will provide guidance.
- Youth will select one of three recipes, including a fruit upside down cake, a fruit cobbler, or a fruit buckle.
- Cobblers traditionally consist of a stewed fruit filling covered with a layer of biscuits or dumplings placed close together and baked.
- A buckle is made by spooning cooked fruit on top of a thin butter cake batter and then baking until the batter had risen through and above the fruit. A streusel topping can be added.
- Upside-down cake is just that; a cake baked with fruit on the bottom and then flipped over when served to reveal a fruit topping.
- Youth will receive the recipe (with the type of fruit) before the competition, and the ingredients when you arrive. A Dutch oven can be provided if the participant does not have one. Please let us know if you need a dutch oven.
- Along with the basic recipe, you may add THREE of your own spices and/or sweeteners true to the 1880s chuck wagon era (cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, etc.) to “personalize” your entry. More information will be provided to participants.
- No nuts, alcohol, cheese, additional fruit or commercially boxed products can be used.
- No liner pans or inserts allowed in Dutch oven.
- Dessert must be cooked on site using wood fires and Dutch ovens.
- This is an individual event, no parent help allowed.
- Check in at 9:30 a.m.
- Dessert must be delivered to judging station at 11:30 a.m.
- Awards announced at 1 p.m.
- Use your imagination and bake your best dessert!
1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes will be awarded!