|Cinco de Mayo Festival & Chihuahua Races
The annual Cinco de Mayo Celebration presented by Si Se Puede Foundation honors the Hispanic community's many contributions to the City of Chandler. The festival also features the popular Chihuahua Races and the crowning of the King and Queen Chihuahua.
Saturday, May 4, 2013
100 E. Commonwealth (Chandler Downtown Public Library Courtyard)
10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Watching the races is also free
Food and beverages will be available for purchase
10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Día de los Niños Children’s Day
12 noon to 1:30 p.m. – Sign-up for Chihuahua Races
2 p.m. – Chihuahua Races
Crowning of King and Queen Chihuahuas immediately following the races
Click here for an event flyer
For more information on the Cinco de Mayo Festival or the Chihuahua Races, contact Alberto Esparza at 480-310-2018
Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros/Children's Day
There will be a Health Fair, sponsored by UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, to include health screenings at no charge and healthy living information. The Library will also be on hand to offer crafts and library information. Also, Maya and Miguel will be in attendance!
HALO Animal Rescue
HALO Animal Rescue will be at the Chihuahua Races from 12-4 pm with Chihuahuas for adoption. Come meet your new best friend!
Also come visit The Chihuahua Store all day at the Races and buy Chihuahua tee shirts and other items. All proceeds will help HALO Animal Rescue to save homeless pets.
Chihuahua Race & Coronation Registration Fees
$20 Race Registration ONLY
$10 King/Queen Coronation Registration ONLY
$25 Races & King/Queen Coronation Registration
Pre-registration is OFFICIALLY CLOSED - general registration begins tomorrow,
May 4 at noon until 1:30 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Remember to bring your chihuahua rabies vaccinations!!
Want to volunteer at this year's races? Click the sign-up button to see what's available
King & Queen Chihuahua winners will get a cash prize, a medal and a special coronation cape
Chihuahuas will be judged based on the following: Best Dressed, Best Temperament and Most Fashionable
$500 - 1st Place and a trophy
$300 - 2nd Place and a trophy
$200 - 3rd Place and a trophy
Acknowledgements and Race Rules
ALL CHIHUAHUA PARTICIPANTS MUST ABIDE BY THE FOLLOWING ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS & RACE RULES
1. All vaccinations are current - must show a copy of vaccinations
2. Only purebred Chihuahuas are eligible**
3. All dogs must be on a leash when not involved in a race
4. Judges are not professional judges
5. This is an event meant only for entertainment
6. Si Se Puede reserves the right to use photos for future advertising
7. Only the first 150 Chihuahuas registered are eligible for the races.
8. Chihuahuas must be present during registration
** In order to avoid discrimination against rescued Chihuahuas, no documentation will be required. If your dog looks like a Chihuahua and acts like a Chihuahua— it can race. However, if your Chihuahua is mixed with another breed that could give it an advantage, he/she will not be allowed to participate. The judges will determine eligibility should any question arise.
· Owners cannot throw, push, or in any way give the Chihuahuas a head start at the beginning of the race
· Owners cannot throw any objects onto the track before, during or after the race
· Owners cannot reach for the Chihuahua at the finish line – the dog must cross the finish line on own
· Owners cannot run up and down the track during the race
· Only dogs registered for the races and running in the current heat called will be allowed in the track area
· The winning dog will be the first to run completely though the track finish line
· This event is for entertainment purposes. Yelling & insults to judges, organizers or other race participants will not be tolerated. No refunds will be offered
Thank you to event sponsors:
Salt River Project, The Chandler Republic, City of Chandler, PRfect Media, Prensa Hispana Newspaper and
UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
Cinco de Mayo History
On May 5, 1862, 4,000 Mexican soldiers held off 8,000 French and allied troops bent on re-establishing their presence in the New World. Recognition of the Mexican victory is widely celebrated in the United States. In Chandler, the celebration is highlighted with the famous Chihuahua Races and the crowning of the King and Queen of Chihuahuas. In addition to the wildly entertaining Chihuahua Races, there will be plenty of music, food and dancing at this family event.