Civil Traffic Charges
The Chandler Municipal Court is the Judicial Branch of Chandler city government and is also a part of the Arizona Judicial System.
Effective July 1, 2015
This Civil Traffic Web page will provide a brief description of your options after you receive a civil traffic complaint and the steps involved in the various Court processes.
1. If you are 18 YEARS OR OLDER, choose one of the available options described on the SANCTION FORM. If not, see Instruction No. 6.
2. Mark desired option and return the following:
A. COMPLETED & SIGNED FORM
B. A COPY OF THE COMPLAINT
3. Acceptable forms of payment are: MONEY ORDERS, PERSONAL CHECKS, OR CASHIER'S CHECKS. CASH is accepted when paying in person. VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS and DISCOVER CARD are accepted when paying by phone or in person, except when posting bond or restitution. The court only accepts payments by phone when paying the full balance due on your case.
4. FAILURE TO COMPLY BY THE APPEARANCE DATE (lower right hand portion of complaint) WILL RESULT IN ADDITIONAL MONETARY PENALTIES AND DRIVER LICENSE SUSPENSION.
5. NO CONTINUANCES OR EXTENSIONS FOR APPEARANCE IN COURT OR PAYMENT WILL BE GRANTED BY PHONE.
6. If you are UNDER 18 YEARS OLD, YOU MUST APPEAR with a parent for juvenile arraignment on your appearance date. YOU CANNOT use the mail to handle the complaint against you. Upon receipt of a conviction for a civil or criminal traffic moving violation, MVD will require you to attend Traffic Survival School on the first conviction and on any subsequent conviction will suspend your driving privileges.
7. The entire sanction is due the day the court imposes the sentence. Only if the court determines it is necessary will you be given additional time to pay. A $20 time payment fee will be imposed on all sanctions not paid on the date they were imposed. (A.R.S. 12-116)
8. If you wish to comply by coming to Court in person before the appearance date, ALLOW AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS after the day you were issued the ARIZONA TRAFFIC TICKET AND COMPLAINT for the complaint to be processed.
THE COURT is located one block east of Arizona Avene and three blocks south of Chandler Boulevard.
OPTION 1: TRAFFIC SCHOOL
You are not eligible for the Defensive Driving Program if you have a Commercial Drivers License.
If you received more than one charge on your Complaint, the Defensive Driving program option is available for only ONE of the eligible minor traffic charges. All other violations must be taken care of with the Court on or before your Appearance date.
YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR DEFENSIVE DRIVING SCHOOL IF:
1. You have a valid government-issued driver license or official state or federal photo ID card.
2. You have not attended a defensive driving class within the last year (violation date to violation date).
3. The complaint has not already been set for a hearing or trial.
4. You were cited for a civil traffic moving violation that did not involve serious injury or a fatality.
CONTACT 1-888-334-5565 (AUTOMATED RESPONSE ONLY), OR GO ONLINE FOR THE SCHOOLS YOU MAY ATTEND. IF YOU RESIDE IN A DIFFERENT STATE, YOU MUST COMPLETE A STATE OF ARIZONA PROGRAM THROUGH AN ARIZONA CERTIFIED DEFENSIVE DRIVING SCHOOL. IF YOU TAKE A CLASS ONLINE, YOU MUST COMPLETE THE STATE OF ARIZONA PROGRAM REGARDLESS OF WHAT STATE YOU ARE IN. THE COST TO ATTEND MAY VARY AMONG THE SCHOOLS. YOU MUST COMPLETE AT LEAST 7 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR COURT DATE.
IF YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND YOU WISH TO CONTEST THIS COMPLAINT AND SET A CIVIL TRAFFIC HEARING BY MAIL, FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS. THE HEARING WILL NOT BE HELD ON YOUR ORIGINAL APPEARANCE DATE.
1. Write the COMPLAINT NUMBER that appears in the upper left corner of your copy of the complaint(s).
Sign the following statement:
2. I hereby request a hearing date. I understand that I relinquish my option to attend Defensive Driving School.
3. At least 5 days before your appearance date, mail this form and a copy of your complaint to CHANDLER MUNICIPAL COURT.
4. Your hearing date will be mailed to you to the address listed on your complaint. YOU SHOULD RECEIVE NOTICE WITHIN TEN (10) DAYS. IF YOU DO NOT, CONTACT THE COURT IMMEDIATELY OR CHECK THE COURT WEB SITE FOR HEARING DATE BY CLICKING HERE.
IF YOU ARE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD AND YOU WISH TO PAY YOUR SANCTION, FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. See SANCTION SCHEDULE for sanction amount.
2. Write in the COMPLAINT NUMBER that appears in the upper left hand corner of your copy of the complaint(s).
3. Sign the following statement:
I hereby plead responsible and enclose the sanction amount as payment.
I do not wish to attend the Defensive Driving School.
I do not want a hearing.
4. At least 5 days before your appearance date, mail this card, a copy of the complaint, money order, check or cashier's check payable to CHANDLER MUNICIPAL COURT.
After hours night drop available.
YOU MUST APPEAR IN COURT ON THE DATE LISTED ON YOUR COMPLAINT IF:
Any violation code on your complaint does not appear on the SANCTION schedule OR: You are under 18 years of age.