Roof Rat Information
Sections of Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa and Glendale have discovered a type of rat in their neighborhoods which is causing damage to homes and vegetation. These rats tend to live in attics and on roofs, chew through home wiring and live on the fruit found in many yards around the Valley.
Roof Rat Precautions
Maricopa County health officials say that all of the rats trapped so far have been tested for plague and hanta virus, and none has been found carrying the diseases. To prevent the spread of roof rats to Chandler, City officials recommend that home owners learn about the ways to prevent infestations.
1. Keep garbage containers tightly covered.
2. Store bulk foods in sealed, rat-proof container.
3. Do not leave pet food out, especially overnight.
4. Promptly pick up any fallen fruit from citrus trees, etc.
5. Harvest your citrus crops promptly and completely.
Roof Rat Description
The roof rat is dark brown to black in color and measures 13 to 18 inches in length i