Yard Waste and Organic Materials
Composting is Mother Nature's way of recycling natural, organic materials. All living things are organic and will naturally decompose. Chandler’s Backyard Composting program provides education to the community about the importance and methods of diverting yard waste, organic food scraps and degradable recyclables from the waste stream.
- Save money – by reducing the need for watering as well as the need for commercial soil amendments and chemical fertilizers
- Yield healthier plants – naturally adding vital nutrients to soil that supports stimulating growth, building resistance and tolerance to disease and drought-like conditions
- Improve consistency of soil - creating a more absorbent soil, making it easier to cultivate
- Improve soil chemistry - Soften alkaline or acidic soil, increase micronutrient availability
- Save water – Using compost on lawns, flower and garden beds can increase moisture retention in soil up to 60%, so you don’t need to water as often.
- Reduce the Waste Stream - by diverting yard and food waste headed for the landfill
In the meantime, check out these web pages to get composting started at you home:
FREE backyard composters are available to Chandler residents payi