Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
The VITA program provides free tax preparation to low- and moderate-income taxpayers, the elderly, and those with disabilities.
Chandler’s 2014 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program was the most successful to date! The VITA Program helped 1,841 low- to moderate-income families, including elderly and disabled individuals claim more than $1.96 million in tax refunds for the 2014 tax year.
The City’s Community Resources Division worked with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to train volunteers and establish free tax preparation sites throughout the City to help working families recoup over $1.96 million in refunds. It also is estimated that Chandler’s VITA Program saved taxpayers roughly $400,000 in tax preparation fees this year!
The refunds may not have been received without the help of 63 dedicated volunteers who invested more than 4,000 hours assisting these families.
Chandler’s free tax preparation service began at the beginning of February and ended in April. Its success is attributed to partnerships between the City and First Credit Union, Chandler Christian Community Center, the CARE Center, Sun Lakes Country Club, Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation, Hamilton Library and Chandler Downtown Library, which provided facilities, staff and equipment.
Contact Tricia Helbing with any questions at email@example.com.
ATTENTION STUDENTS AND CGCC STAFF:
If you have all your W-2s, 1099s and tax documents you need to file your taxes; Chandler’s VITA Volunteers are preparing taxes free of charge at Chandler Gilbert Community College, Bradshaw Hall, Room 123A, on the following days:
- Friday, Feb. 25, 2016, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
We will assist you in the order of check in. Be sure to bring your ID, social security card (or a photo of it), last year’s taxes and all your tax documents.
Chandler VITA Sites Schedule:
Starting Feb. 1 - April 13
What to bring:
- First Credit Union, 25 S. Arizona Place
Hours: 3-8 p.m. Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays
- Chandler Hamilton Library, 3700 S. Arizona Ave.
Hours: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 4-7:30 p.m. Mondays, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays
This site will be closed on Monday, Feb. 15, in honor of Presidents Day.
On Tuesday, Feb. 9 and 16, this site will be open from 4-7:30 p.m., instead of 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Chandler Christian Community Center, 345 S. California St.
Hours: Noon to 6 p.m. Tuesdays
- The Chandler CARE Center, 777 E. Galveston St.
Hours: Noon to 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Noon to 4 p.m. Fridays, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday
This site will be closed on Friday, March 25, and Saturday, March 26.
- Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation, 2145 W. Elliot Road
Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays
This site will be closed on Saturday, March 26.
- Social Security cards (or ITIN cards or ITIN letter for all members of the household)
- Picture Identification for taxpayer and spouse
- Proof of all income, including W-2s and 1099 forms, self-employment records and tips
- Child care information, including record of payment with name, address and tax ID# for childcare provider
- Tax deduction and credit information, including mortgage interest statements (Form 1098), medical expenses, tuition payment statements (Form 1098-T), receipts for any property taxes and charitable contributions paid in 2015.