To promote water conservation inside and outside our homes, the City of Chandler offers rebates to residents who install low water use landscaping (Xeriscape) and automatic irrigation controls.
New Landscape - $200
Landscape installed at a new residence may be eligible for a $200 rebate. In fact, the majority of new homes qualify for this rebate even if a small grass or lawn area is included.
1. The entire front and back yards must be landscaped.
2. The total landscaped area must exceed 1,000 square feet.
3. After installation, a minimum of 50% of the landscaped area must be non-grass with inorganic or organic top dressing with drought-resistant trees, lush shrubs, groundcovers, colorful flowering perennials, succulents, etc.
Not sure which plants are low water use? Several resources are available to help you including Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert and Water Wise Landscaping in Chandler. Free classes are available to help guide you.
> Download the City's policy on new landscaping (PDF)
Turf Removal (Landscape Conversion) - $200 - $3,000
(Effective Aug. 1, 2010)
The City offers rebates on removing turf areas to encourage the installation of low-water-use, drought-tolerant plants (Xeriscape). A rebate of $200 per 1,000 square feet of grass removed, up to a maximum of $3,000, is available.
1. At least 1,000 square feet of turf must be removed.
2. After installation, a minimum of 50% of the landscaped area must be non-grass with inorganic or organic top dressing with drought-resistant trees, shrubs, groundcovers, flowering perennials, succulents, etc.
3. Non-pervious materials such as black plastic sheeting are not permitted in the rebated area.
Email or call the Water Conservation Office to set up a preliminary site inspection at least 30 days prior to starting your project.
Dozens of design examples to help you plan your landscape can be found online at Water Wise Landscaping in Chandler. There are over 600 photos of low-water use plants to choose from and the website allows you to build a database of plants and their specifications that you can save for future reference. This should help you make the switch from a thirsty turf to a beautiful landscape that can be more fragrant and colorful, or may attract butterflies or hummingbirds.
> Download the Cit