|Thank you for your interest in the Business Hiring and Retention Program. The application closed on Monday, Nov. 9 for both employee retention and use of independent contractors. If you're interested in receiving future updates related to this program, please email Economic Development.|
The City of Chandler recognizes that the ability to maintain private sector employment levels preserves the economic strength of the community and its citizens. Therefore, the City Council has allocated $9.5 million in Arizona Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (AZCARES) funds for a program that provides businesses impacted by the effects of COVID-19 with the opportunity to obtain reimbursement for expenses associated with worker retention and hiring.
Qualifying businesses can apply to receive $1,300 per full-time equivalent (FTE) employee retained or hired since Dec. 31, 2019, up to a maximum of $10,000. This part of the program is being administered by the Arizona Community Foundation. Businesses seeking funding should visit the Arizona Community Foundation for eligibility criteria and to apply online. The deadline to apply is 4 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 2, 2020.
The program has now been expanded to better support businesses that use independent contractors. Qualifying businesses can apply to receive $1,300 for every $40,000 in compensation paid to 1099-eligible independent contractors during 2020, up to a maximum of $10,000. This part of the program is being administered by the City. See below for eligibility criteria and application materials. The deadline to apply is Monday, Nov. 9, 2020.
NOTE: Businesses can apply for funding support for both employee retention and use of independent contractors. To seek funding for employee retention/hiring, complete the application through the Arizona Community Foundation. To seek funding for use of independent contractors, complete the application linked below. The maximum amount of funding a business can receive is $10,000.
A business has retained five full-time employees since Dec. 31, 2019, and has also paid $80,000 in compensation to independent contractors.
- The business submits an application through the Arizona Community Foundation for employee retention/hiring. Based on retention of five full-time equivalent employees, the business is awarded $6,500.
- The business also submits an application through the City for use of independent contractors. Based on $80,000 in total compensation paid to independent contractors in 2020, the business is awarded $2,600.
- Total funding awarded to the business through the program is $9,100.
Criteria for Businesses That Use Independent Contractors
- Private, for-profit business located in the City of Chandler;
- Business must submit a copy of its Form 1096 filed with the IRS as proof of compensation paid to 1099-eligible independent contractors in 2019;
- Business must agree to fill out a form provided by the City that summarizes its use of 1099-eligible independent contractors and compensation paid during 2020;
- 100 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees or fewer, including all commonly owned/managed businesses. To determine number of FTE employees, businesses should assign a 1.0 for employees who work 40 or more hours per week and 0.5 for employees who work fewer hours.
- Not affiliated with another business under common ownership/management that has applied for the job retention/hiring program;
- Is not a home-based business; business must own or lease non-residential property;
- If the business leases a property, the business must commit to remain in Chandler through Dec. 31, 2020;
- A start date prior to March 11, 2020 (Date of the Governor’s Emergency Declaration); and
- Registered business with the City of Chandler.
Download the application form linked below. Email your completed application to the City of Chandler. Applications will be accepted from Monday, Oct. 19, 2020, through Monday, Nov. 9, 2020.