The City of Chandler officially incorporated 100 years ago — Feb. 16, 1920
The City of Chandler was officially incorporated on Feb. 16, 1920. Just imagine all of the things that have changed in 100 years. To commemorate the anniversary, a new historical marker will be placed this month at the corner of Arizona Avenue and Chicago Street, the site of the original Town Hall.
A new mural (pictured) was also recently installed depicting significant Chandler historical events — check it out in the breezeway in the old town square area, off of Boston Street. You can also take a walk through time with the self-guided Historic Walking Tour. Follow us on social media for even more ways to commemorate the date.
Ballot-By-Mail Special Election
The City of Chandler will hold a Special Election on Tuesday, March 10, 2020. The ballot-by-mail election will feature a proposed amendment to the City Charter that would change the dates of the City’s elections in order to conform with election consolidation dates per state law.
Ballots will be mailed to all qualified and registered voters in Chandler during the week of Feb. 12. No voting will take place at the polls. In order to be counted, your ballot must be received no later than 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 10. Chandler City Hall also will be open as a ballot replacement center and ballot drop-off location from Monday, March 2, through Monday, March 10. For more information on the upcoming election, visit Special Election or call 480-782–2181.
Elección Especial de Votación por Correo Postal
La Ciudad de Chandler llevará a cabo una Elección Especial el martes 10 de marzo de 2020. La elección de votación por correo postal contará con una enmienda propuesta a los Estatutos de la Ciudad que cambiaría las fechas de las elecciones de la Ciudad con el fin de conformarse a las fechas de consolidación electoral de acuerdo con la ley estatal.
Las boletas electorales se enviarán por correo postal a todos los electores calificados y registrados en Chandler durante la semana del 12 de febrero. No se llevará a cabo la votación en los sitios electorales. Para que sea contada, su boleta electoral con su voto debe ser recibida a más tardar el martes 10 de marzo a las 7 p.m. El Edificio Municipal de la Ciudad de Chandler también estará abierto como un centro de reemplazo de boletas electorales y sitio de entrega de boletas electorales desde el lunes 2 de marzo hasta el lunes 10 de marzo. Para más información sobre la próxima elección, visite Special Election ó llame al 480-782–2181.
Chandler Ostrich Festival Returns to Tumbleweed Park March 13-15
The 32nd annual Chandler Ostrich Festival returns to Tumbleweed Park, March 13-15*. The popular festival, known throughout the Southwest, is a community event featuring live ostriches and ostrich-themed activities. National, regional and local entertainment will be showcased on several stages, as well as a carnival, kids activities, arts and crafts and much more.
For complete information, including admission prices and parking, visit Chandler Ostrich Festival, or call the Chandler Chamber of Commerce at 480-963-4571. Tumbleweed Park is located at 2250 S. McQueen Road, near Germann and McQueen roads.
*Date changed to March 13 from March 12 by event organizers.
Get your Family Season Pass
Receive a 15 percent discount on an aquatics Family Season Pass during the Season Pass Sale March 7-22. You can purchase a season pass for a family of four for only $95 when you purchase it March 7-22. Purchase online at Breatktime or in person at Hamilton or Mesquite Groves Aquatic Centers.
The season pass gives you access to all six aquatic centers through November 2020. Visit Chandler Aquatics for more information. Family Season Passes are only available to Chandler residents.
Volunteers Provide Free Income Tax Assistance
The City, in collaboration with Mesa United Way, is kicking off the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) tax season.
Volunteers assist with preparing income taxes for low- to moderate-income individuals and families, the elderly and individuals with disabilities. The free tax preparation service is offered through April 14, 2020, to those whose income is less than $56,000. Service is offered on a first come, first serve basis with priority given to those needing special accommodations.
Visit VITA for locations and information about what to bring, or call 480-834-2113.
Sign Up for Paperless Billing
Be entered for a chance to win a prize
There are many reasons that people sign up for paperless billing, here are our top six:
- Immediate access to your information — anytime, anywhere — from your mobile device or desktop.
- Saves space and reduces clutter. Paper documents take up a lot of space and can be difficult to store and manage.
- Conserves natural resources. Think of the paper, ink, envelopes and electricity that can be saved by switching.
- Sign up for paperless billing along with autopay to reduce the worry and hassle of bill paying each month.
- By switching to paperless, you will receive an email with a link to view your bill plus the most recent CityScope digital version with links to even more content.
- Enter for a chance to win a prize! From Feb. 1 through the end of April, every account that is signed up for paperless billing will be entered into a drawing for a free iPad Mini.
Read the Go Paperless Sweepstakes official rules, find details about paperless billing and learn how to sign up at Go Paperless Sweepstakes, or call 480-782-2280 for more information.
City offices will be closed Monday, Feb. 17, 2020 for the Presidents’ Day holiday. Trash and recycling collection will not be affected.
Residents paying for City-provided solid waste services can schedule a free curbside recycling and/or trash bulk pick up by calling 480-782-3510. Bulk items are those that are too large to fit in a residential curbside or alley trash container. Here are some common questions and tips:
- Residents can schedule a free bulk pick up every six weeks.
- Additional bulk collections can be scheduled before the next free collection for $30.
- The cost to collect Freon-bearing items is $15 per unit. Fees are charged to your Chandler utility bill.
- Chandler solid waste ratepayers may call 480-782-3510 to find out the next available bulk collection date, learn size or material restrictions and add authorized users. (Make a list of all the materials you need collected prior to calling.)
- Bulk materials shall be placed on the resident’s driveway or front yard. Alley bulk pick up is not available.
- Items not accepted include building and construction materials such as sheet rock, cinderblocks, bricks, pavers and roofing materials. Dirt, gravel, propane tanks, tires, auto parts and liquid hazardous or medical waste are also not allowed.
- Consider donating gently used items to local charities. Many offer curbside collection and offer a tax deduction.
|1||Buddy Ritchie and the Big Bopper|
|4||Chandler Fun Run|
|5||Guardian Academy Begins|
|7||Public Safety Fair|
|7-22||Family Season Pass Sale|
|8||Groovin’ to the 60s|
|9-20||Spring Intersession Camps|
|13 , 26||City Council Meeting|
|15||Cherish the Ladies|
|18, 19||Spice of Life Senior Variety Show|
|21||The Tap Pack|
|25*||East Valley Mayors’ Prayer Breakfast|
*Date changed since the publication of the six month calendar.
Communications & Public Affairs | 480-782-2228
Mayor & Council | 480-782-2200
Visit Chandler Video for live stream and videos on demand of meetings and original programming.
|Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | LinkedIn | Archive|