Employees from the City’s Streets and Traffic Engineering divisions shared top honors with the Town of Gilbert at the Tom Sheetz Memorial Equipment Rodeo organized by the Arizona Chapter of the Maintenance Superintendents Association (MSA).
Employees from cities across the Valley competed in the event held Thursday, March 22, at the Town of Gilbert Maintenance Yard. Individuals and teams of employees displayed their skills working with concrete and asphalt and operating various types of equipment during the event.
The annual competition gives public works maintenance employees from around the state an opportunity to compete against each other and enjoy the camaraderie that comes with working in a specialized field.
Chandler placed first in three events, second in two events and third in three events, securing first place honors overall, along with the Town of Gilbert. Jose Matus, a senior streets specialist with Chandler, placed second in a spirited free-throw competition included just for fun.
Chandler employees finishing in the top three in their events were:
- Concrete Team: Jacob Granillo, Jose Matus, Troy Pekoske
- Traffic Marking: Brian Ruiz
- Street Sweeping: Adam Klein
- Ten Wheel Dump: Eric Da Silva
- Free-Throw Shooting: Jose Matus
- Asphalt Team: Steve South, Shawn Carroll, Andy Barrera, Louie Orozco
- Crack Seal Team: Steve Ochoa, Jesse Reyes, Jose Ortiz, Brian Davidson
- Forklift: Gilbert Lopez