The Chandler City Council met at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 25, taking action on a total of 38 agenda items. Meeting highlights included:
- Approved a construction contract with Sunland Asphalt & Construction for the rehabilitation of Taxiway C at the Chandler Municipal Airport in an amount not to exceed $799,799.
- Approved the Master Plan for the Chandler Municipal Airport, which makes recommendations to guide the development of airfield and landside improvements.
- Approved a resolution to approve two submittals for Tribal Gaming Revenue Sharing applications. One is from the Chandler Fire Department to the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation to replace a low acuity program vehicle. And a second is from the Chandler Police Department to the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation for the purchase of residential security equipment for crime victims as a preventive measure against future crime or violence.
- Approved awarding the Construction Manager at Risk contract to Hunter Contracting for the Veterans Memorial Phase II, in an amount not to exceed $3,513,861.76. The project scope of work consists of construction of lighted monument plinths and cubes, theme walls, perimeter and seat walls, grading and retaining walls, relocation and mounting of an F-86 plane, lighted pathways, landscaping and irrigation, and stormwater drainage system.
- Approved a professional services agreement with Dibble CM, LLC, for the Veterans Memorial Phase II, in an amount not to exceed $122,400.
- Approved the rezoning of Serene Estates, from C-1 to PAD for a single-family residential neighborhood located northwest of the northwest corner of Galveston and Harford streets.
- Approved an intergovernmental agreement with the Gila River Indian Community for the provision of mutual aid services.
- Approved a professional services agreement with HRD Architects, LLC, for reconstruction costs at Fire Station 282, in an amount not to exceed $559,279. Fire Station 282 is located near the intersection of Alma School and Warner roads.
- Approved the purchase of an annual subscription for Webex from BTT America, Inc., in the amount of $212,415.
- Adopted the Pension Funding Policy update and accepted the City’s share of assets and liabilities under the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System Actuarial Valuation Report.
- Authorized the submittal of the Community Development Block Grant Program Year 2021-2021 annual action plan to the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Approved the allocation of Program Year 2021-2022 HOME Investment Partnership funds from the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act.
- Approved an amendment of the 2020-2025 Consolidate Plan and submission to the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Approved an intergovernmental agreement with Maricopa County Animal Care and Control, in an amount not to exceed $221,431 for the period of July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
- Approved a project agreement with Caliente Construction, Inc. for renovations to the Police Main Station Lobby and Records area in an amount not to exceed $1,321,730.47. Also approved a professional service agreement with Kitchell/CEM, Inc. for this project in an amount not to exceed $198,540.
- Authorized a Reclaimed Water Agreement and Project Agreement between the City of Chandler and Intel for the construction of a Reclaimed Water Interconnect Facility and the related infrastructure needed to serve Intel’s campus. The intent of the project is to optimize the use of the City's water resources by recharging additional water into the groundwater aquifer beneath the City to enhance the sustainability of the aquifer and provide resilience of the City's water system in case of drought. Participation in this project has been offered to Intel Corporation in an effort to make the current annual Reclaimed Water Agreement long-term and meet future water needs. Also approved a professional services agreement with Wilson Engineers, LLC, for facility design services for the project in an amount not to exceed $1,809,660. The cost for this project will be split equally between the City and Intel.
- Approved a construction contract with Achen-Gardner Construction, LLC, for facility rehabilitation for the Arrowhead Water production facility and Pecos Water Treatment Plant surge system, in an amount not to exceed $6,053,000. Also approved a professional services agreement with Wilson Engineers, LLC, for the Arrowhead Water production facility project in an amount not to exceed $623,308, and post design services in an amount not to exceed $198,222.
- Approved a professional services agreement with Black and Veatch Corporation for post design services for the Pecos Surface Water Treatment Plant Surge System.
- Approved an agreement with American Traffic Solutions, dba Verra Mobility for photo enforcement for a five year period beginning April 1, 2021, in a combined amount not to exceed $2,500,000.
- Recommended a Series 7, beer and wine bar liquor license be approved by the State Department of Liquor Licenses and Control for: Blacksheep Wine & Merchant, located at 98 S. San Marcos Place.
- Recommended a Series 12, restaurant liquor license be approved by the State Department of Liquor Licenses and Control for: Chipotle Mexican Grill, located at 1055 W. Chandler Blvd.
The meeting adjourned at 7:28 p.m.
During a Study Session on Monday, April 19, 2021, the Mayor and Council presented the following proclamations:
- May 9-15, 2021, as Police Week 2021; May 15, 2021, as Peace Officer Memorial Day
- May 2021 as Building Safety Month
- April 30, 2021, as Arbor Day in Chandler
- Anupa Jain, the City’s water quality advisor, who received an Environmental Stewardship Award from the Arizona Water Association.
- Traci Conaway, the City’s acting solid waste operations supervisor who received the Recycler of the Year award from the Arizona Recycling Coalition.
Photos from the Study Session may be downloaded at facebook.com/pg/cityofchandleraz/photos.
The next meeting of the City Council will be a study session, at 6 p.m. Monday, May 10, 2021.
The next meeting of the Chandler City Council will be at 6 p.m. Monday, April 19. Council meetings are aired live, as well as replayed on the Chandler Channel - Cable Channel 11 (CenturyLink Channel 8502), streamed online at Chandler Video and on YouTube.
- 30 -
Note: These are not official meeting minutes of the City Council but rather a brief recap of the Council’s actions provided as a courtesy of the Chandler Communications and Public Affairs Department.
The City Clerk’s office posts official meeting results the morning following Council meetings. For a complete list of actions taken, visit Chandler Meetings and Agendas. Throughout the agenda, items are posted in red to signify any changes made at the meeting, and who voted no, or abstained.
For past City Council meeting minutes, visit chandleraz.gov or contact the City Clerk’s Office at 480-782-2180. For any other information, contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 480-782-2000.
Public Information Officer
City of Chandler