The Chandler City Council met at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 16, taking action on a total of 35 agenda items. Meeting highlights included:
- Approved three items related to the State of Arizona grant agreement for the AZCares Fund Program to address unforeseen financial needs and risks created by the COVID-19 public health emergency. On, May 29, 2020, a letter was sent by Governor Doug Ducey indicating the award to Chandler of $29,983,456 from the AZCares Fund. The funds will be allocated as follows:
- Neighborhood Resources Department: $1,855,500 to the Community Support Program. $1,205,500 of that amount will be disbursed to 32 local agencies and social service programs supporting vulnerable populations, in accordance with the recommendations of the Chandler Housing and Human Services Commission and staff.
- Economic Development Department: $9,500,000 to the Business Hiring/Retention Program and $500,000 to the Business Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Program to support businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- Information Technology (IT) Department: $7,700,000 to the Citizen Engagement/Mobility Program to prepare the City to better serve citizens through technology.
- $500,000 to the City Service PPE Program to protect employees and citizens.
- The remaining $9,927,956 to the AZCares Reserve Account for future needs.
- Approved an agreement with Lyft. Inc., for the First-mile, Last-mile Pilot Program, in an amount not to exceed $49,000, for one year, starting Sept. 1, 2020. The partnership will provide discounted trips to and from bus stops, thereby extending the reach of the City’s public transit program in South Chandler, where bus service is limited. In the program, the City will pay for a 50% discount on trips to and from bus stops south of Pecos Road.
- Approved a resolution authorizing an amendment to an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between the City of Chandler and the Arizona Fire and Medical Authority (AFMA) serving Sun Lakes, to adjust fire and emergency medical training costs from $300 to $400 per firefighter. The estimated payment for training 27 AFMA firefighters is $10,800 for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020/21. Funds received from AFMA will cover the cost of training supplies and equipment.
- Approved an agreement with Raftelis Financial Consultants, Inc., for Water, Wastewater, Reclaimed Water, and Solid Waste Cost of Service Studies, in a total amount not to exceed $164,460.
- Approved a contract with Elite Sports Builders, for the purchase of tennis center court resurfacing services at the 15-court Chandler Tennis Center in Tumbleweed Park, in an amount not to exceed $105,238.
- Approved an agreement with the Greater Phoenix Economic Council (GPEC) for regional economic development services, in the amount of $130,654, for FY 2020/21. The City of Chandler has partnered with GPEC for more than 30 years. Key benefits of this partnership include marketing and business development lead generation.
- Approved an agreement for construction management services with Ritoch Powell & Associates Consulting Engineers, Inc., for the Gilbert Road Improvements Phase II (Ocotillo Road to Chandler Heights Road), in an amount not to exceed $361,915. Additionally, for the same project the Council approved a Pre-Construction Services Construction Manager at Risk Contract with Sunland Asphalt & Construction, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $127,542. The project will widen Gilbert Road to three through lanes in the northbound and southbound direction from Ocotillo Road to Powell Place. The project will also include three new traffic signals: one at Brooks Farm Road, one at the future main entrance to the new Chandler Unified School District (CUSD) high school, and one just south of Ocotillo Road to serve the Fry's and Sprouts shopping centers.
- Approved a Construction Manager at Risk Contract with Sunland Asphalt & Construction, Inc., for construction of the Alma School Road Improvements (Pecos Road to Germann Road) project, ), in an amount not to exceed $4,384,000.
- Approved an agreement with Y.S. Mantri & Associates LLC, for Arterial Congestion Monitoring Design Services, in an amount not to exceed $104,517.24. This project will install Anonymous Re-Identification Devices (ARID) and communication equipment to gauge traffic speeds and assist in identifying congestion on City streets.
- Approved an agreement with Wilson Engineers, LLC, for Water Reclamation Facility Improvements, in the amount of $1,175,560.
- Recommended liquor licenses be approved by the State Department of Liquor Licenses and Control for:
- Series 9, Liquor Store Liquor Licenses for Safeway #981, located at 3145 S. Alma School Road, and Safeway #2997, at 4060 W. Ray Road;
- Series 12, Restaurant Liquor License, for The Stillary, 130 S. Arizona Ave., Suite 1.
- Made a recommendation to the State Department of Liquor Licenses and Control for disapproval of a Series 6 liquor license for El Nuevo Coyote, 481 N. Arizona Ave.
The meeting lasted approximately one hour and eight minutes.
During a regular meeting on Monday, July 13, the Mayor and Council took action on a total of four agenda items, including:
- Approved an employment agreement with City Manager Marsha Reed for a term of July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021, in an amount of $247,346.
During a Study Session on Monday, July 13, the Mayor and Council honored Carmen O’Brien with the Public Works & Utilities Department for 15 years of dedicated service.
In addition, a Public Housing Authority Commission meeting took place before the Study Session.
The next meeting of the City Council will be a study session at 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 10.
Council meetings are aired live, as well as replayed on the Chandler Channel, Cable Channel 11 (CenturyLink Channel 8502), and streamed online at chandleraz.gov/video and on YouTube at youtube.com/cityofchandler.
Note: These are not official meeting minutes of the City Council but rather a brief recap of the Council’s actions provided as a courtesy of the Chandler Communications and Public Affairs Department.
The City Clerk’s office posts official meeting results the morning following Council meetings. For a complete list of actions taken, visit chandleraz.gov/agendas.
Throughout the agenda, items are posted in red to signify any changes made at the meeting, and who voted no, or abstained.
For past City Council meeting minutes visit chandleraz.gov or contact the City Clerk’s office at 480-782-2180. For any other information, contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 480-782-2000.