Chandler Jazz Festival - Day 1
Every April, Downtown Chandler turns the spotlight on its jazz scene with the return of our annual Chandler Jazz Festival. In celebration of Jazz Appreciation Month, the festival hosts a stellar lineup of local talent; spanning genres ranging from traditional and fusion rhythm to smooth jazz.
The free, family-friendly festival features more than 40 hours of live performances. Festivalgoers are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs to the outdoor concert. This is an alcohol & smoke free event.
Thursday Night: Sidewalk Bands
Pete Pancrazi with Todd Johnson
Through the years, Pete Pancrazi has cultivated a large and loyal following. Audiences enjoy his nimble guitar and warm vocals. He continues to delight with a growing repertoire of original compositions, straight-ahead and Latin jazz standards, and pop classics performed with a jazz twist.
Todd Johnson is recognized as a pioneer of the six-string electric bass. He has developed the innovative ability to play bass lines and chord changes simultaneously, plus his ability to play "chord melody" gives him a unique sound that proves extremely useful in both solo and small combo work.
The Natalie Gallatin Quartet
Natalie Gallatin is a saxophonist, composer, bandleader, educator and activist. After graduating in 2022 with her Master of Music, she has been leading The Nash Education Interns, teaching an ensemble at Paradise Valley CC, performs around town with various artists, and teaches private lessons.
In 2022, she recorded her first album, Noodles, which features original compositions that were written while navigating the challenges of being a master’s student during the pandemic. Drawing inspiration from artists such as Roxy Coss, Joshua Redman and Thelonious Monk. It offers a well-balanced array of compositions inspired by landscape, love and irrational thoughts.
Frank Valdes Sextet
A product of New York City’s lower east side. Frank Valdés began his musical voyage tapping out simple rhythms in his parent’s NYCHA apartment at the early age of nine.
Initially, he tried experimenting with the guitar but quickly discovered that his real musical passion came from his role as a rhythmist. His deep connection with the drum would eventually blossom into a life-long career in the music industry as a first-rate percussionist.
Young Artist Jazz Showcase
5:30 - 7 p.m. | Sherry Roberson Quartet
All bands perform | 5:30 - 7 p.m.
- Charlie Smith Duo | d'Vine Gourmet
- Pete Pancrazi with Todd Johnson | Saba’s
- The Natalie Gallatin Quartet | Crust Simply Italian (astro turf)
- Frank Valdes Sextet | Dr. A.J. Chandler Park West
All bands perform | 5 - 7 p.m.
- Howard Alden and Friends | d'Vine Gourmet
- Pam Morita Trio | Saba’s
- Delphine Cortez & Friends | Crust Simply Italian (astro turf)
- The Denny Monce Quartet | Dr. A.J. Chandler Park West
7 - 11 p.m.
After Hours Jam Session: Hosted by Flavour
West Alley BBQ
3 - 5 p.m. | Raul Yanez Latin Jazz Quartet
5 p.m. | Fred Boswell & Friends: "Gospel, Chick and Glasper"
6:10 p.m. | Fred Forney and West-by-Northwest: "Music of Miles "
7:30 p.m. | Dennis Rowland & Diana Lee: "From Basie to Wonder"
9:05 p.m. | The Dan Wilson Trio with Pat Bianchi and Lewis Nash
All Bands Perform 2 - 4:30 p.m.
- Garrett Becwar Trio | d'Vine Gourmet
- Actual Air Trio | Saba’s
- Jazz Women Collective | Crust Simply Italian (astro turf)
- Nuance Jazz with Jackie Lopez | Dr. A.J. Chandler Park West
7 - 11 p.m.
After Hours Jam Session:Tommy Grills Band
Hosted by West Alley BBQ
All Bands Perform 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Kaufmann, Zick & Russo | d'Vine Gourmet
- Arsen Nalbandian Trio | Saba’s
- Clark Gibson Trio | Crust Simply Italian (astro turf)
- ZAZU West | Dr. A.J. Chandler Park West
Interested in becoming a vendor at this year's Jazz Festival? Potential vendors will need to review the Vendor Information Sheet and complete the Vendor Application.
The City of Chandler prides itself on having vendors at our events that represent the concept of the event and the vast diversity of what the City has to offer. Vendors will be accepted based on these criteria.
Application Deadline Extended to March 6, 2023 - CLOSED
For more information on becoming a vendor or questions regarding the application process, please email or call 480-782-2669.
Vendor Participation Quick Facts
- Vendors must be able to participate both nights of the event
- The event provides electrical outlets are - 110 volts/15 amps max (additional cost to vendors)
- No sharing of booth space or subleasing
- It is a rain or shine event - Fees are non-refundable
- Vendors will be notified of acceptance no later than one week after the application close date
From family-friendly activities, to lively scores of music, to delicious food and drinks, there’s something for every age.
- The festival takes over Dr. A.J. Chandler Park and Downtown Chandler for four days.
- Stage Plaza opens to the public 1 hour (4 p.m.) prior to Saturday's start time.
- Sidewalk Bands are featured each day. Times vary. Check each day's schedule for details
- After hours jam session hosted by West Alley BBQ Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m.
Smoke/Alcohol Free Event
No smoking or tobacco use (includes cigars, cigarettes, e-vapor, etc.) are permitted within the event area. This is an alcohol-free event. No alcohol consumption permitted within event area.
What To Bring
The following personal items are permitted within festival grounds. Personal items cannot be left unattended and bags are subject to security checks.
- Cash/Card - Delicious-eats and thirst-quenching, non-alcoholic beverages will also be available for purchase throughout the park and Downtown Chandler. Guests should bring cash as not all food trucks and vendors accept credit cards.
- Sealed Bottled Water
- BYOB (Bring-Your-Own-Blanket) - The festival is sure to draw a crowd and early birds can land some of the best seats and views in the park. Be sure to bring blankets and lawn chairs to make your viewing more comfortable. Small individuals umbrellas are allowed.
- Service Animals Only
The following personal items are not permitted within festival grounds.
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Large Umbrellas
- Animals (Service Animals Only)
- Weapons (guns, knives, etc.)
- Coolers Larger than 20 quarts
- Glass Containers
Though the festival boasts an array of Arizona’s best jazz music, there are plenty of other ways you can enjoy yourself. Choose from a variety of food vendors or shop regional artisan booths. Most vendors will accept cash or credit cards. (Saturday Only)
There is plenty of free parking within walking distance for our festival visitors.
Look for the parking icon on signs throughout Downtown Chandler to locate the nearest parking spot.
Recommended Locations to Park for Festival
Map Location 2 - Alexander Parking Garage
*Enter off of Boston St. between Arizona Ave. and Delaware St.
Map Location 3 - Johnathan Parking Garage
*Enter off of Buffalo St. between Arizona Ave. and Delaware St.
The City of Chandler welcomes participation from all of its citizens. To request an accommodation due to a disability please allow at five (5) days prior to the scheduled event. Contact the City's Special Event Coordinator at 480-782-2665 (or 711 via AZ Relay Service).