Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Removing household waste from a vehicle

Throwing household chemicals in your trash container, pouring them down the drain, or dumping them at the curb is dangerous and irresponsible. To better serve Chandler residents, the city offers household hazardous waste collection at the city's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.

Scheduled appointments are required to ensure a safe environment for the public and staff when managing quantities of household hazardous waste dropped off.

Chandler residents paying for City-provided solid waste services or living in apartments, townhomes or multi-family units may use the bring accepted HHW by appointment. 

  • Any material brought to this facility must be from the Chandler residence shown on their Chandler utility bill.
  • Residents from that address must drop off the material.  No contractors and/or persons performing work for residents.


  • Residents living in areas outside Chandler city limits (county islands, Sun Lakes, etc.), businesses (including home-based businesses) or non-profit organizations.

See the Alternative Drop Off Locations section below for options.

Call Solid Waste customer service at 480-782-3510 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Why are appointments for HHW drop-off required?

  • The HHW Collection Center, located at the Recycling-Solid Waste Collection Facility, does not have permanent full-time staff for this stand-alone operation
  • Staff working other areas at the transfer facility are scheduled to work HHW operations
  • The number of staff required to work HHW operations is based on the number of appointments scheduled for that day, and the quantities/type of HHW scheduled for drop-off
  • For safety, staff accepting HHW is required to be suited w/safety wear and gear

Before you make an appointment:

  • Review list of accepted and prohibited items
  • Make a list of the quantity and type of materials you want to bring in

Day of your appointment:

  1. Load material in the trunk/hatchback of your vehicle or bed of your truck 
    • We recommend you place something under the materials to protect your vehicle to prevent leaks or spills.
    • Make sure all items are marked. If you do not know what type of chemical is in a container notify the attendant.
    • Place small items in a box or container that can be removed from your vehicle.
    • Personal containers, such as plastic storage boxes, will not be emptied and returned.
    • Do Not place items in plastic bags. If a single item is leaking, place that one item in the bag and notify the attendant.
    • Items placed in plastic bags or not properly marked may be subject to refusal.
  2. Check-in at the Recycling-Solid Waste Collection Center (955 E. Queen Creek Rd.) at your scheduled appointment time. Bring a photo id and a copy of your Chandler utility bill.
  3. Follow instructions from the attendant and posted signs
  4. Stay in your vehicle while trained staff unloads material
  5. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Home Improvement and Cleaning Products

  • Paint (Limit to no more than 25 gallons total. Contents is measured by the size of containers not the fullness of liquid inside. No containers over 5 gallons accepted)
  • Lacquers and paint thinners
  • Glues and adhesives
  • Furniture polishes and stains
  • Drain and toilet bowl cleaners
  • Oven cleaners
  • Window cleaners
  • Floor cleaners
  • Bleach
  • Acetone
  • CFL and fluorescent bulbs
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Cooking oil
  • Rechargeable batteries (Nickel Cadmium (NiCad), Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), and Lithium-Ion (Li-ion)

Auto Products

  • Antifreeze
  • Motor oil
  • Gasoline
  • Transmission fluids and additives
  • Windshield wiper solution
  • Auto cleaners and waxes

Outdoor Products

  • Pesticides
  • Herbicides (fertilizer)
  • Pool chemicals
  • Lamp oil
  • Propane tanks

Common household items that are not hazardous and can be disposed of at home

  • Incandescent light bulbs
  • Alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, and 9V)
  • Potting soil, mulch or plant food
  • Soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions (empty bottles can be recycled)
  • Completely dried out paint cans

Prescription & Over-the-Counter Medication

Ammunition and Gun Powder 

  • For assistance with proper handling and disposal Chandler Police Department | 480-782-4000

Residents on county islands, neighboring communities, and businesses can learn how to properly dispose of Household Hazardous Waste by contacting:

Disposal Guidelines for Chandler residents

Acceptance of items at retail stores are subject to change.

Akaline Batteries

  • AA, AAA, C, D & 9V batteries are not considered hazardous materials and can be bagged and tied then placed in your household trash

Ammunition, Gun Powder or Explosives

  • For assistance with proper handling and disposal Chandler Police Department | 480-782-4000

Auto Batteries

  • Auto Zone
  • O’Reilly Auto Parts
  • Walmart Automotive Center
  • Batteries Plus

CFL & Fluorescent Fact Sheet - How to dispose of broken bulbs

CFL Bulbs

  • Batteries Plus
  • Lowes
  • Home Depot
  • Ace Hardware (Alma School & Warner)

Fluorescent Bulbs

  • Lowes
  • Home Depot
  • Batteries Plus

Motor Oil

  • Auto Zone
  • O’Reilly Auto Parts
  • Walmart Automotive Center


  • Instructions for proper disposal for cans that are nearly empty or already dry:

Remove the lid and place the can in an area away from children and animals. Using enough cat litter, paint hardener, or Plaster of Paris, stir it in, set it out in the sun, and let it absorb and harden. This can also be done by pouring paint into a cardboard box lined with newspaper, cat litter or absorbent. When the paint in the can or in the cardboard box has hardened and is dry, secure it in a plastic bag. It is ready for disposal. Empty paint cans can be disposed of in your regular trash container.

Prescription & Over-the-Counter Medication

Rechargeable Batteries

  • Batteries Plus
  • Best Buy
  • Lowe’s
  • Home Depot
  • Ace Hardware (Alma School & Warner)

Sharps (syringes, lancets and needles)