Monsoon safety tips and reminders

Monsoon storm

June 15 through Sept. 30 is the official Arizona monsoon — a time when we can expect high temperatures, dust storms and heavy moisture. The following tips are provided to help keep you safe:

  • During a heat advisory, drink plenty of fluids and avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol. Stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day. You should NEVER leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
  • Thunderstorms and heavy winds can damage property and power lines. Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
  • Visit monsoons, thunderstorms, haboobs and lightning for tips to reduce monsoon damage to your trees.
  • In case of power outages, contact your utility company (SRP 602-236-8811 or APS 1-855-OUTAGES).
  • For those caught outdoors during a storm, find shelter, or go to a low-lying, open place away from trees, poles or metal objects.
  • Get out of swimming pools, and boats and away from all water.
  • If, while you are driving, you approach a storm of any kind, reduce speed and turn on your headlights.
  • In a thunderstorm, pull safely onto the shoulder, stay in the car and turn on the emergency flashers.  
  • In a dust storm, if you cannot see more than 300 feet, it is time to get off the road. If traveling on a freeway, exit at an exit ramp and find a safe place to stop. If no exit ramp is near, pull completely off the roadway. Turn off driving lights and all vehicle lights, including emergency flashers. Set your emergency brake and keep your foot off the brake pedal. Stay in the vehicle with your seatbelts buckled and wait for the storm to pass.
  •  Always obey traffic warning signs and avoid flooded roadways. 

Reminder about short-term rentals 

Need to obtain a license to operate in Chandler

Family unpacking car for vacation

As a reminder, all short-term rentals in Chandler need a Short-Term Rental License prior to operating. The city license is separate from the tax and license requirements with the Arizona Department of Revenue.

A short-term/vacation rental in Chandler includes renting, advertising, or offering to rent a room, unit, home or property on a web-based platform regardless of the length of stay or availability.

Information regarding the license requirements can be found at Short-Term Rentals or by calling 480-782-2299.

Unruly gathering and brass knuckles laws

Chandler City Council has adopted ordinances that prohibit unruly gatherings and people under 18 from possessing brass knuckles. 

Police can disperse an unruly gathering and cite those responsible. Parents and guardians can face violations for permitting unruly gatherings and for actions of their children under 18.

Violators can be charged and receive penalties up to $2,500, jail time and probation if any of the following occur:

  • minor under 21 possessing or consuming alcohol
  • illegal drugs
  • an act designated a felony under state law
  • physical altercation that results in injury
  • previous citation for unruly gathering within prior 180 days

For people under 18, brass knuckles are off-limits - no exceptions. The law prohibits stores from selling brass knuckles to people under 18. Violators can be charged and receive penalties up to $2,500, with jail time and probation.

Be a responsible pet owner

Dog on a leash

Pets can be a rewarding addition to any family, but they come with responsibilities. Abiding by leash laws and cleaning up animal waste are important, as well as making sure that pets don’t disturb the peace by barking or howling at inappropriate times. 

Enforcement of most laws and ordinances involving pets is the responsibility of Maricopa County Animal Care and Control. They can be reached at 602-506-PETS (7387). The following is a summary of some animal laws and ordinances:

  • All dogs over three months must wear a collar displaying a current license. 
  • Maricopa County’s leash law prohibits you from allowing your dog to run at large outside your property at any time. When you take your dog outside of its confined area, it must be restrained on a leash that is no longer than six feet in length.
  • The law requires that animals be provided with the basic needs of life, including food and water. All animals must receive food on a daily basis; and the food must be free from contamination and offered in a quality and quantity sufficient to maintain its good health.
  • Barking dogs can present a problem. Visit for suggestions on steps to take, or call the Barking Dog Hotline at 480-782- BARK (2275).
  • Animals must have access to clean, drinkable water in a container that can’t be tipped over or spilled. 
  • Maricopa County law requires that pet owners provide their animal with proper medical care. This means that if your pet is injured, sick or infested with parasites, you are responsible for getting adequate veterinary attention.   
  • There are no leash or license laws for cats. This means the city doesn’t have as many options to control them as they do other animals. There are animal welfare groups that sponsor programs to help control the population of feral cats.

 Find more information visit Animal Care and Control or call 602-506-PETS (7387).

Household hazardous waste — what you need to know

Hazardous products are in our kitchen, bathrooms, closets, garages and sheds.  

What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)? Some of the more common HHW products found in homes are:

  • Cleaning aids: 
    • furniture polishes and stains 
    • drain & toilet bowl cleaners 
    • bleach 
    • oven cleaners
  • Household maintenance:
    • paints 
    • lacquers and paint thinners 
    • rechargeable batteries
  • Auto maintenance products: 
    • antifreeze 
    • motor oil 
    • gasoline
    • windshield wiper solution
  • Outdoor products: 
    • pesticides 
    • herbicides 
    • pool chemicals   

How can I reduce household hazardous waste around my home? The best way to reduce waste is to avoid creating it in the first place. Purchase the amount needed and use the product up entirely. Consider natural alternatives if available for your needs. This reduces risk and can often be a less expensive option.

What if I have leftover product? Appropriate disposal or reuse is recommended such as:

  • Share leftovers with others 
  • Products such as motor oil, rechargeable batteries and CFL bulbs are accepted by some local retailers
  • Schedule an appointment at Chandler’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center

Why do I have to schedule an appointment? Scheduled appointments are required to ensure the safety of the public and staff who must handle waste.

It will only take you about five minutes to drop off items and we will have you on your way. Our specially trained staff will sort the waste for recycling and safe disposal.

To schedule an appointment to drop off household hazardous waste or to ask questions, call 480-782-3510.

Materials generated from a business are not accepted. 

Contact Us
Communications & Public Affairs | 480-782-2228
Mayor & Council | 480-782-2200
Tune In  
Visit Chandler Video for live stream and videos on demand of meetings and original programming.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, this publication can be made available in an alternative format.
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | LinkedIn


July 2023 | August 2023| September 2023 | October 2023 | November 2023 | December 2023 | January 2024 | February 2024 | March 2024 | April 2024 | May 2024 | June 2024