The Crisis Response Unit, or CR288, is a mobile crisis team of dedicated professionals and volunteers who provide strength-based interventions, verbal de-escalation, and emotional support and resources to individuals after a traumatic incident. CR288 is a two-person team—comprised of Master’s degree-level Crisis Intervention Specialists and volunteers/interns—that is dispatched alongside both Fire and Police units. The unit operates on a 24/7/365 schedule and is housed at a Chandler Fire station.
The work of CR288 ensures the social and emotional needs of every citizen is addressed while Police attend to law enforcement and Fire personnel to the medical emergency or the task of fire suppression.
Community members and students interested in volunteering their time and talent to the Chandler Fire Department’s Crisis Response Unit are encouraged to review the application process.
The CR288 unit strives to:
- Provide immediate crisis intervention and on-scene victim assistance.
- Provide emotional support, information, and referrals to clients.
- Facilitate communication between clients and the Fire and/or Police Departments.
The CR288 unit operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The types of incidents CR288 is dispatched to vary but are often:
- Behavioral Health-related emergencies
- Serious medical emergencies (e.g., drownings, suicide)
- Adult, child, and/or infant deaths
- Death notifications
- Structure Fires
- Traffic collisions
- Child or elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation
- Violent crimes (e.g., sexual assault, domestic violence)
- Assisting persons experiencing homelessness
The CR288 unit may also be requested by the Chandler Police and/or Fire Departments for citizen support.
CFD's Crisis Response Team is a member of U.S. Crisis Care
U.S. Crisis Care is a nonprofit organization that helps communities support people affected by tragedies like suicides, fatal heart attacks, serious accidents, and homicides. Volunteers are there, on scene, to preserve a ray of hope and help survivors begin rebuilding healthy, fulfilling lives.