After September 11, 2001, America witnessed a wellspring of selflessness and heroism. People in every corner of the country asked, "What can I do?" and "How can I help?" Citizen Corps was created to help all Americans answer these questions through public education and outreach, training, and volunteer service. The scope of the program varies from community to community.
The Chandler Fire Department established a local Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program as part of the City's Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) and local homeland security response. Chandler CERT's purpose is to teach Chandler's residents individual preparedness and coping skills to take care of themselves and their families following a natural or man-made disaster for up to 72 hours, or until help arrives to assist them.
We accomplish our mission by offering a free 2-day, 16-hour Basic CERT course to people who want to learn how to take care of themselves during a disaster. In the Basic CERT course, students learn disaster preparedness skills through hands-on and classroom training. Participants will learn about the types of hazards that might affect Chandler and examines the roles and responsibilities of various organizations within the community, such as police and fire departments, other government agencies, public utilities and non-profits. Constructing family emergency kits for homes and vehicles is also a critical part of community preparedness.
Sign up to get trained by contacting Chandler Fire Department at 480-782-2120.
Maricopa County Emergency Management Resources
- Maricopa County Department of Emergency Management - The Maricopa County Department of Emergency Management (MCDEM) provides ongoing planning to prevent and prepare for large-scale emergencies in Maricopa County.
State of Arizona Emergency Management Resources
- Department of Emergency and Military Affairs - The Division of Emergency Management coordinates the State of Arizona’s emergency preparedness, response and recovery efforts in order to reduce the impact of emergencies and disasters on people and property in the Whole Community.
Federal Emergency Management Resources
- Ready.gov - Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - The primary mission of the Federal Emergency Management Agency is to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the Nation from all hazards, including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters, by leading and supporting the Nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation.
- Emergency Preparedness Guide for Homeowners (PDF) - This guide is provided by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the Homeownership Alliance and Habitat for Humanity to assist in planning for an emergency.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Visit this Federal Web site for more on terrorism threats and emergency preparedness.