In collaboration with Mesa United Way, the VITA program provides free tax preparation to low- and moderate-income taxpayers, the elderly, and those with disabilities.
Chandler’s 2020 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program helped 1,937 low- to moderate-income individuals, including elderly and disabled individuals claim more than $2.1 million in tax refunds for the 2019 tax year. The refunds may not have been received without the help of more than 60 dedicated volunteers who invested thousands of hours assisting these families despite the COVID pandemic.
- Tax Day has been extended to May 17 due to the ongoing pandemic.
- With the additional time to prepare taxes, more appointments are now available.
- Please note that the deadline to make your 2020 Charitable Tax Credit and/or Foster Care Tax Credit donations has NOT been extended.
- Residents still may use MyFreeTaxes.com to file basic taxes for free.
New requirements for all VITA sites
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we are requiring an appointment at all tax preparation sites and have implemented new safety measures for this year’s VITA tax season. Please review the Tax Return Drop-Off/Pick-up Instructions document prior to arriving for your appointment. All clients MUST wear a face mask covering mouth and nose. Social distancing must be maintained. Children/additional people (not required for tax preparation service) are NOT ALLOWED at the sites.
What to Bring to a VITA Site
- Valid photo ID for you, your spouse, and all dependents
- Social Security or ITIN cards for all family members
- Wage & earning statements
(Form W2 & 1099-MISC)
- Interest & dividend statements
- Affordable Care Act statements
- Social Security (SSA-1099) and Pensions (1099-R)
- Education statements (1099-T) and expenses
- Unemployment (1099-G) statements
- Deductions (donations, home interest, property tax, medical expenses) for those able to itemize
- Qualified contributions to AZ schools and non-profits
- Daycare statements with provider’s tax ID number
- Bank Routing/Account Number for Direct Deposit
- Copy of last year’s tax return (if available)
- If filing joint, both you and your spouse must be present to sign the return
Steps to follow for using the VITA Drop-Off Service:
1) Reserve your appointment at one of the site locations. Or you may visit Mesa United Way to see all of the active sites. You can also download the Intake and Consent forms and fill them out before you come to the site, which is highly recommended.
2) Sign-in at the site and completely fill out the Intake Sheet (3 pages) in your car or assigned waiting area (if you did not fill them out in advance). Maximum 15 minutes are allowed for this Drop-Off meeting with a VITA volunteer.
3) Sign the four Consent forms and ensure ALL the required tax documents are open and out of the envelopes BEFORE coming to see a volunteer: Social Security Card or ITIN Card/Letter (for ALL persons), Picture ID (for Taxpayer and Spouse) AND prior year's tax return (if available).
4) If you have itemized deductions, expenses or mileage for self employment, please calculate to the totals for each category before you come to the site. It is your responsibility to provide the totals.
5) Tax Preparation will be done remotely and the customer will be contacted by phone to collect any incomplete or additional information required during the preparation/review process. Please answer our calls.
6) Taxpayer will be given an appointment for the completed Tax Return Pick-Up. Taxpayer and the spouse, BOTH MUST be present for this meeting. Maximum 10 minutes are allowed for the Pick-Up appointment.