Since 2004, the Chandler Fire Department has relied on the Crisis Response Unit, or CR288, to provide vital crisis intervention services and resources to citizens experiencing loss, pain, or suffering. CR288 operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and taps the talent of dedicated volunteers to further its mission and ensure no family goes without support.
Prospective volunteers are encouraged to review the criteria and selection process for the CR288 unit and contact the Crisis Intervention Coordinator to attend an orientation meeting.
Prospective volunteers must meet the following criteria to be considered for the CR288 unit:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a valid Arizona driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
- Willingness to volunteer for a minimum of 12 hours per month and commit to at least 1 year of volunteer service*
- Pass a fingerprint and background check and have no record of arrests or criminal convictions
Note: Student intern requirements vary by school and can include an 80+ hour commitment per month.
Prospective volunteers must also meet the following physical requirements:
- Ability to speak and hear clearly and to communicate effectively
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30 pounds
- Ability and willingness to operate in an outdoor environment that may include exposure to adverse weather conditions
Prospective volunteers must be able to respond to and resolve difficult, and often stressful, citizen concerns, challenge—including hostility—in a fair, tactful and professional manner.
To volunteer, please contact the Crisis Intervention Coordinator.
If selected, applicants will receive an interview and undergo a background check/fingerprint clearance. They will also be required to complete all necessary training.
Volunteers must complete the following training to maintain their standing on the CR288 unit.
- Attend 8-10 hours of Regional Crisis Intervention Training
- Complete 24 hours of observation rides and an additional 24 hours of practical rides
- Complete all Chandler Fire Department-specific training
- Attend quarterly unit meetings for continuing education