Chandler Housing must inspect all units annually to ensure program compliance. This is generally 60-120 days prior to the contract anniversary date. In addition, in the case of an emergency or complaint by the landlord, tenant, Housing Authority, or general complaint, a special inspection will be done.
The housing inspector will be checking to see if the unit is in compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). These are minimum standards that any unit rented under the Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Program must meet.
General Housing Inspection Quality List:
- There cannot be any chipping or peeling paint anywhere on the inside of the unit.
- There cannot be chipping or peeling paint anywhere on the exterior of the unit.
- The cooking stove must be clean and in working order. (Either the tenant or the owner must provide)
- The refrigerator must be clean and in working order. (Either the tenant or the owner must provide.)
- There must be an installed heating system that works.
- There must be hot and cold running water in the bathroom.
- There must be hot and cold running water in the kitchen.
- There must be a shower or bathtub that works.
- There must be a flush toilet that works and does not leak.
- Bathrooms must have either a window to the outside OR an exhaust fan.
- There must not be any plumbing leaks.
- There must not be any plugged drains. (Check for slow drains)
- All ground floor windows must have attached locks and exterior doors must have locks including working deadbolts.
- All electrical outlets must have cover plates and be in good condition.
- There must not be any missing, broken, or cracked windows.
- The roof must not leak. (Check the ceiling for stains)
- The hot water heater tank MUST have a temperature pressure relief valve with a downward discharge pipe made of galvanized steel or copper tubing that is at least 3 feet long (NO PVC), and reaches to within 6" of the floor.
- There must be GFI outlets around all sinks.
- The floor covering cannot be torn or have holes that can cause someone to trip.
- If there are stairs and railings, they must be secure.
- Working smoke detectors are required in every unit, in every bedroom, and on every level.
The owner does not have to be present when the inspection occurs, however, there must be a responsible adult present, age 18 or over, to let the inspector into the unit. We advise that landlords be present for the initial inspection.