Housing Choice Vouchers are accepted anywhere within City of Chandler or in the USA where there is a housing authority to administer the program. Wherever the tenant chooses to live, the housing must pass a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection. It must also pass a rent reasonableness test to assure that the rent charged is fair.
Being a Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 landlord has many benefits, including:
- Free advertisement and marketing of available units: Landlords are welcome to list their units by completing the Landlord Request Form.
- Landlords select their own tenants: Landlords are encouraged to screen tenants. Landlords are required not to discriminate and adhere to fair housing.
- Quality housing: Chandler Housing conducts an initial property inspection, annual inspections and special inspections upon the request of the landlord or tenant. Along with the landlord's periodic checks, these inspections help ensure that the property is well maintained.
- Guaranteed monthly housing assistance payments: The portion of rent paid by Chandler Housing is paid to the landlord timely each month.
- Reduced amount of paperwork: Chandler Housing prepares all Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contracts. Landlords complete the Request for Tenancy Approval forms and provide the executed lease. Most of the required paperwork is prepared by Chandler Housing.
If a property owner or manager has housing which qualifies they are willing to rent it under the Housing Choice Program, a rental agreement or lease and Housing Assistance Payment contract must be signed. Available properties are listed at Go Section 8 and a listing of available properties are made available to searchers.
Types of HCV/Section 8 Housing
Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Vouchers can be used to rent houses, duplexes, triplexes, apartments, condominiums, townhouses and mobile homes. Any type of housing may be rented - apartments, houses, duplexes, row houses etc - as long as the unit is located within the City of Chandler, meets HUD Housing Quality Standards/NSPIRE, qualifies as an eligible type and the rent is reasonable for the size, type, and location of unit.
Please Note: Housing Choice Voucher holders may be able to rent from a relative as a reasonable accommodation only if a member of the household is a person with a disability. The family must show through the reasonable accommodation process that the specific unit owned by a relative is the only unit available for the family to rent based on the household member's disability. Chandler Housing must approve the reasonable accommodation. This includes the participant's mother, father, sister, brother, grandparents, grandchildren, step-family, in-laws, or any member of his or her household.