Mayor and Council FAQs

Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about the Mayor and City Council.

What is Chandler's form of government?
The City of Chandler has adopted the council-manager form of local government. It combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a council with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The form establishes a representative system where all power is concentrated in the elected council and where the council hires a professionally trained manager to oversee the delivery of public services. In Chandler, the City Council consists of a Mayor and six Councilmembers elected from the City at large. The Mayor and Councilmembers are elected to serve for a period of four years. 

What is the Mayor and Council's function?
The Mayor and Council is the City's elected governing body and its members are the community's decision makers. Power is centralized in the elected Mayor and Council, which approves the budget and determines the tax rate, for example. The Mayor and Council also focus on the community's goals, major projects, and such long-term considerations as community growth, land use development, capital improvement plans, capital financing and strategic planning. The Mayor and Council appoint and evaluate the performance of the City Manager, City Clerk, City Attorney and Presiding Magistrate.

What is the City Manager's function?
The City Manager is hired to serve the Mayor, Council and the community to bring to the local government the benefits of training and experience in administering local government projects and programs on behalf of the governing body. The manager prepares a budget for the Mayor and Council's consideration; recruits, hires, and supervises the government's staff; serves as the Mayor and Council's chief adviser; and carries out the Mayor and Council's policies. The City Manager makes policy recommendations to the Mayor and Council, but the Mayor and Council may or may not adopt them and may modify the recommendations. The City Manager is bound by whatever action the Mayor and Council takes.

How do I determine which Councilmember represents me?
Mayor and City Councilmembers are elected "at large" to represent the entire City. They are not elected to represent districts or wards. Check the Mayor and City Council page for more information on each elected official.

When and where are the City Council meetings held?
The City Council meets at 6 p.m. with Study Session Meetings usually held on the Monday prior to a Regular Council Meeting on Thursday of that same week. Check the City Meetings Calendar or the Meetings and Agendas pages for the official schedule. The Chandler City Council usually meets at 88 E. Chicago St. in the Council Chambers and meetings are open to the public.

What is the difference between a Study Session and Regular meeting?
Study Sessions are normally held the Monday prior to the Regular Council Meeting. Study Sessions provide the opportunity for Councilmembers to have specific questions addressed on items on the Consent agenda. No action is taken by the City Council at Study Sessions. Public input is reserved for the Regular Council Meetings.

What is the difference between a Consent and Action agenda?
Items listed under the Consent Agenda have been discussed at the previous study session meeting. These items will be decided on with one vote. If a councilmember or a member of the audience wants an item moved from the Consent agenda to the Action agenda for discussion they may make the request prior to the vote on the Consent agenda.

Items listed under the Action Agenda are each handled by separate motion and vote. The Mayor and Council will receive a briefing of the item by City staff. Once a motion has been made and seconded, the Mayor will call for comments and discussion from the audience. Should you wish to address the Council, please approach the podium, clearly state your name and address into the microphone and direct your comments or questions to the Mayor.

On occasion, it may appear that the council is acting on some agenda items with little consideration or discussion. Such instances typically represent a relatively routine action; an issue which has been thoroughly reviewed previously at a study session; an issue which has been discussed at a previous regular meeting and continued; or issues previously reviewed for which no public testimony or new information is offered.

I would like to speak at a Regular Council meeting. What should I know?
Residents have several avenues for addressing the Mayor and City Council during a regular Council Meeting. You may appear as a Scheduled or Unscheduled Public Appearance. You may also speak concerning a specific agenda item or at a Public Hearing.

Procedures are as follows:

  • Scheduled Public Appearance: Call the City Clerk's Office at 480-782-2180 at least 48 hours before the Regular Meeting and provide your name, daytime phone number and the specific topic you will be addressing. The Mayor will call you to the podium at the appropriate time where you may address the Council for up to three minutes.

  • Unscheduled Public Appearance: Complete a "Speaker Comment Card" provided in the Council Chambers and turn it in to the City Clerk. The Mayor will call you to the podium where you will be allowed to address the Council for up to three minutes. State Statute prohibits the City Council from discussing an item that is not on the agenda; however, the Council does listen to your concerns and will have Staff follow-up on any questions you raise.

  • Agenda Items Including Public Hearings: Complete a "Speaker Comment Card" and turn it in to the City Clerk. During discussion of the item, the Mayor will accept public comments based on the speaker cards. If you wish not to speak, you may indicate your support or opposition on the speaker card.

When the Mayor acknowledges you, please step up to the podium, state your name and address for the record and proceed to speak clearly into the microphone.

For more information, call the City Clerk's Office at 480-782-2180.

How can I find out what is on the City Council agenda?
The City Clerk's Office staff posts the agendas for upcoming Council meetings within 24 hours of the scheduled meeting time. The agendas can be found online on the Meetings and Agendas page. The official postings are also available on the board outside of the City Clerk's Office, and at the Police Department located at 250 E. Chicago St.

How can I communicate my suggestions or concerns to the City?
City officials welcome your input on how to build a better community and encourage you to communicate your suggestions, comments and/or concerns. The following services are made available to you:

Online Service Request Form

Office of the Mayor and City Council
Mail Stop 603
P.O. Box 4008
Chandler, AZ 85244-4008

Please note that any written or electronic correspondence sent to City officials or staff becomes public record and is available for public/media review.

Compiled by City staff with information from International City Managers' Association.