Dentists are required to submit a Dental One-Time Compliance Report to the Industrial Pretreatment Program (IPP) within 90 days of opening as required under the Federal Dental Office Category Rule found at 40 CFR § 441. Dentists operating before July 14, 2017 (pre-existing offices) must submit the Dental One-Time Compliance Report no later than Oct. 12, 2020.
- All dentists must follow the dental best management practices for handling and disposal of amalgam waste.
- Do not bypass the amalgam separator by flushing amalgam or rinsing devices containing amalgam into sinks, drains, or toilets.
- Do not use bleach or chlorine-containing cleaners to flush wastewater lines connected to the amalgam separator.
- Maintain documentation for amalgam separator inspections and repair, amalgam cartridge replacement, and disposal.
- The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires amalgam separators to achieve at least a 95% removal efficiency.
- The EPA’s final rule on amalgam separators became effective on July 14, 2017, and the date for all pre-existing offices to be in full compliance is July 14, 2020.
- The IPP will conduct inspections to verify and assist the facility with obtaining compliance with this Federal Regulation. Have questions please contact the IPP.