The Section 8 program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.
The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.
Section 8 vouchers are administered locally by the City. The Housing and Redevelopment Division receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the Section 8 program.
A family that is issued a Section 8 voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.
A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the Housing and Redevelopment Division on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.
Program Policies and Plans
- 2018 Annual Plan
- Administrative Plan
- Family Self Sufficiency Action Plan
- Housing Payment Standards
- Income Limit
- Tenancy Addendum | Spanish
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Notice | Spanish
- 2015-2020 City of Chandler Housing and Redevelopment Strategic Plan
- Definitions of Significant Amendments for the 5 Year Plan
- Progress Report on Five-Year Plan
Agreements, Applications, Contracts & Forms
- Agreement for Mutual Rescission of Lease
- Authorization for the Release of Information/Privacy Act Notice | Spanish
- Change Report Form | Spanish
- Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program Contract of Participation | Spanish
- FSS Escrow Account Credit Worksheet | Spanish
- Full Application for Annual Re-exam | Spanish
- General Complaint Form | Spanish
- Housing Assistance Payment Contract: HUD | Spanish
- Housing Choice Voucher: HUD | Spanish
- Informal Review Form: Applicants Only | Spanish
- Portability Request Form
- Reasonable Accommodation Form
- Request for Hearing Form | Spanish
- Request For Tenancy Approval: HUD | Spanish
- Section 8 Intent to Move Form
- Zero Income Complete Packet | Spanish
Other Useful Information
Landlord Forms and Information
If you are interested in renting your property through the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program and would like to learn more about the landlord responsibilities and requirements, you may contact our office at 480-782-3200. You may register your property with Go Section 8, which provides rental properties online.
Add your rental property
- Arizona Residential and Tenant Act - Arizona Dept of Housing
- Briefing Packet for Owners - Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Direct Deposit Enrollment Form
- Arizona Attorney General: Fair Housing
- Notification of Housing Assistance Payment Contract Change Regarding Foreclosure
- Housing Quality Standards Checklist
- Housing Quality Standards Inspection - Commonly Failed Items
- Section 8 - Key Steps in Leasing
- W-9 Form - IRS
- 10 Most Common Fair Housing Mistakes