Under the Public Housing Program, a family's rent is subsidized based on their monthly adjusted income level. Participants in this program pay 30 percent of their monthly adjusted income toward rent. The rental units in this program are owned and operated by the City of Chandler for the benefit of HUD. Chandler operates and manages more than 150 family apartments at four locations, 37 elderly designated apartments at one location and more than 100 scattered site single-family homes.
The Housing and Redevelopment Division owns 303 dwelling units in the City of Chandler that are rented to low-income families and seniors. These units range from single-family dwellings to single story apartment complexes and are scattered throughout the city. Participants in this program pay 30 percent of their monthly adjusted income toward rent. Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals.
To be eligible for the public housing program, the applicant family must:
- Qualify as a family as defined by HUD and the Housing and Redevelopment Division;
- Have income at or below HUD-specified income limits;
- Qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status of family members;
- Provide social security number information for household members as required; and
- Consent to the Housing and Redevelopment's collection and use of family information.
The Housing and Redevelopment Division also must determine that the current or past behavior of household members does not include activities that are prohibited. If you are eligible, the Housing and Redevelopment Division will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. The City of Chandler Housing Division will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project's environment.
The City's Housing and Redevelopment Division uses income limits developed by HUD. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80 percent and very low-income limits at 50 percent of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one Housing Authority but not at another.
Public housing sites in Chandler are located at:
- 130 N. Hamilton
- 210 N. McQueen Rd.
- 73 S. Hamilton St.
- 660 S. Palm Ln.
Program Policies and Plans
- Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy
- Administrative Plan
- Bedbug Policy
- Community Service Policy
- Flat Rents
- House Rules
- Landscape Policy
- Maintenance Policy
- Maximum Rents
- Pet Policy
- Public Housing Smoke-Free Policy
- Security Deposits
- Streamline Annual PHA Plan
- Utility Allowances: Public Housing (Mixed Fuels)
- Utility Allowances: Public Housing (Electric Only)
- Vehicle Policy (Family Sites)
- Vehicle Policy (Kingston)
- Vehicle Policy (Scattered Sites)
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Notice | Spanish
- 2015-2020 City of Chandler Housing and Redevelopment Strategic Plan
- Capital Fund Five-Year Action Plan
- Definitions of Significant Amendments for the 5 Year Plan
- Family Self Sufficiency Action Plan
- Income Limit
- Progress Report on Five-Year Plan
Agreements, Applications, Contracts & Forms
- Agreement for Mutual Rescission of Lease
- Authorization for the Release of Information/Privacy Act Notice | Spanish
- Community Service Time Verification Form
- Change Report Form | Spanish
- Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program Contract of Participation | Spanish
- FSS Escrow Account Credit Worksheet | Spanish
- Full Application for Annual Re-exam | Spanish
- General Complaint Form | Spanish
- Housing Assistance Payment Contract: HUD | Spanish
- Housing Choice Voucher: HUD | Spanish
- Informal Hearing Form: Participants Only | Spanish
- Informal Review Form: Applicants Only | Spanish
- Portability Request Form
- Reasonable Accommodation Form
- Request for Alteration to Unit
- Request for Hearing Form | Spanish
- Request For Tenancy Approval: HUD | Spanish
- Section 8 Intent to Move Form
- Zero Income Complete Packet | Spanish