Public Housing Program
Under this program, a family's rent is subsidized based on their month adjusted income level. Participants in this program pay 30 percent of their monthly adjusted income toward rent. The rental units in this program are owned and operated by the City of Chandler for the benefit of HUD. Chandler operates and manages more than 150 family apartments at four locations, 37 elderly designated apartments at one location and more than 100 scattered site single-family homes.
The Housing and Redevelopment Division owns 303 dwelling units in the City of Chandler that are rented to low-income families and seniors. These units range from single-family dwellings to single story apartment complexes and are scattered throughout the city. Participants in this program pay 30 percent of their monthly adjusted income toward rent. Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals.
To be eligible for the public housing program, the applicant family must:
- Qualify as a family as defined by HUD and the Housing and Redevelopment Division;
- Have income at or below HUD-specified income limits;
- Qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status of family members;
- Provide social security number information for household members as required; and
- Consent to the Housing and Redevelopment's collection and use of family information.
The Housing and Redevelopment Division also must determine that the current or past behavior of household members does not include activities that are prohibited. If you are eligible, the Housing and Redevelopment Division will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. The City of Chandler Housing Division will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project's environment. The City's Housing and Redevelopment Division uses income limits developed by HUD. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80 percent and very low-income limits at 50 percent of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one Housing Authority but not at another.
Public Housing Youth Program
The Chandler Public Housing Youth Program offers a variety of activities to children and teens, ages 6 -18, who reside in the four family Public Housing sites:
- 130 N. Hamilton
- 210 N. McQueen Road
- 73 S. Hamilton St.
- 660 S. Palm Lane.
Activities include an on-site after school program offering homework assistance, arts & crafts, indoor & outdoor recreation, and fun & rewarding incentive programs; a school-break program offering group activities like games, swimming, field trips, and special programming for teens; and involvement in community sports and special events. The program is free to all age-eligible residents.
- Are you a Victim of Housing Discrimination? English | Spanish
- Authorization for the Release of Information/Privacy Act Notice English | Spanish
- Change Report Form English | Spanish
- Community Service Time Verification Form
- Enterprise Income Verification and You Brochure English | Spanish
- Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System Brochure English | Spanish
- Fair Housing - Arizona Attorney General
- Fighting Fair Housing Discrimination, One family's story (video) English| Spanish
- Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program Contract of Participation English | Spanish
- FSS Escrow Account Credit Worksheet English | Spanish
- Full Application - For annual re-exam English | Spanish
- General Fraud Complaint Form English | Spanish
- How Your Rent is Determined HUD English, Spanish
- Informal Hearing for Participants Only English | Spanish
- Informal Review for Applicants Only English | Spanish
- Things You Should Know - HUD
- Public Housing Intent to Move English | Spanish
- Reasonable Accommodation Form
- Request for Alteration to Unit
- Request for Hearing English | Spanish
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Notice English | Spanish
- Zero Income Complete Packet English | Spanish