Chandler Fire Department FAQs

You have questions and we have answers on a variety of topics related to Chandler Fire Department facilities, operations, policies, jobs, customer services and more.

After reviewing the categories and information on this page, if your question is not answered, please let us know by calling 480-782-2120.


  1. What number do I call for non-emergency situations?
  2. What is the closest fire station to my house?
    Please see our Station Map.
  3. What is the phone number to my fire station?
    Phone numbers to stations are restricted. If you need to contact someone at a fire station, call Chandler Fire Administrative Headquarters at 480-782-2120. We discourage the public from calling stations directly for emergencies or other business due to the increased potential for creating service response issues.
  4. How do I find out the names of the firefighters who took care of my emergency?
    Call Chandler Fire at 480-782-2120.
  5. Where can I buy a Chandler Fire Department t-shirt or patch?
    At this time, the CFD does not sell or trade for official clothing items or other products, such as patches. This decision is based on security concerns.
  6. What is Chandler's Insurance Services Office (ISO) rating?
    Chandler's ISO is rated at a Level 1.


  1. How do I report a fire hazard such as a blocked fire lane, locked exit doors, bars on windows with no quick-release latch, etc.?
    Call the CFD Fire Marshal at 480-782-2121 or the Chandler Police Department at 480-782-4130.
  2. How do I report fire hazards, such as weeds, overgrown trees or debris?
    Please contact Chandler Code Enforcement at 480-782-4320.
  3. How do I report a possible swimming pool related code violation (green pool, no pool barriers)?
    Please contact Chandler Code Enforcement at 480-782-4320.
  4. Where can I get information on swimming pool fences or acquire one?
    You can read the Chandler Pool Barrier Guidelines (PDF). Programs are also available to help low-income residents with pool fence installation or repairs.
  5. How do I dispose of medical waste like used needles and syringes?
    Place these items in approved sharps containers or a sturdy plastic container such as a plastic milk jug. Tape the closure shut securely, and deposit it in your dumpster.
  6. How do I safely get rid of hazardous chemicals?
    Throwing household chemicals in your trash container, pouring them down the drain, or dumping them at the curb is dangerous and irresponsible. To better serve Chandler residents, the City offers a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. Local businesses and industries that have questions on disposing of hazardous chemicals should contact the Solid Waste Division at 480-782-3510.
  7. Who do I call to report illegal fireworks use?
    If Chandler residents see fireworks being sold or used inappropriately, they can report the violations to the non-emergency phone number of the Chandler Police Department at 480-782-4130. Read more about which fireworks are legal and illegal to sell and use.
  8. How do I safely dispose of fireworks, explosives and ammunition?
    For handling of hazardous materials, contact the Fire Prevention Division at 480-782-2121.
  9. Are we allowed to launch paper sky lanterns in Chandler?
    While these devices have grown in popularity in recent years, they do use an open flame and are not under controlled flight, thus they pose a fire hazard and are banned by the Fire Marshal in Chandler. They are currently categorized under the International Fire Code that prohibits devices that launch into the air, such as consumer fireworks.


  1. Why do fire trucks respond to motor vehicle accidents?
    Automobile accidents present other hazards such as potential fire, ruptured fuel tanks, undeployed airbags and/or the presence of hazardous materials. If any occupants are trapped they will begin the extrication (removal) process. Since all of our firefighters are Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) or Paramedics, they can begin assessing an injured person's condition and assist in providing treatment prior to the arrival of ambulance personnel. Additionally, all fire apparatus carry extrication tools.
  2. Why does the fire department respond to medical emergencies and not just paramedics?
    Our firefighters are trained as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) or Paramedics. With our stations in close proximity, we can often arrive prior to the ambulance and begin life-saving techniques. The Chandler Fire Department strives to staff a minimum of two paramedics on every apparatus. Thus, when a fire engine shows up for a medical emergency, the paramedics have arrived.
    It is the department policy to send a "company" on all life-threatening calls - heart attacks, trouble breathing, possible strokes, vehicle accidents, etc. The "company" may be an engine, squad, aerial ladder; it depends on the type of call. These personnel do basic Emergency Medical treatment, patient assessment and transportation. All of our personnel on these companies are state certified to at least the Emergency Medical Technician level, some are paramedics.
  3. When I see an emergency vehicle approaching with lights and sirens while I am driving, what should I do?
    State law and common sense dictate that vehicles yield to emergency vehicles that are operating their emergency lights and siren. Emergency vehicle drivers are taught to pass on the left whenever possible when responding in an emergency mode. When safe, slow down, pull over to the right, and stop. However, there are circumstances where that may not be possible (if your car is already stopped, and you don't have anywhere to pull over).

    - Simply stay put until the emergency vehicle goes around you.
    - If you are blocking the route of the emergency vehicle, and you are able to pull ahead and over into a clear area, use your turn signal to indicate your intentions, and proceed at a safe speed.
    - Never slam on the brakes and stop in the middle of the road when you see apparatus approaching.
    - Make no sudden moves. If an emergency vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction, you should pull over and stop. You have no idea if they are proceeding down the road, or are planning on turning into a driveway or intersection right in front of you. You are not required to slow down or pull over for emergency vehicles that are responding in the opposite direction on a divided highway.
    - Do not tailgate, "draft", or follow a responding apparatus closely. Not only is this illegal, you run the risk of collision as vehicles pull back out into traffic after the emergency vehicle goes by.
  4. I live in Chandler. Why do I see fire trucks from different cities responding to calls here?
    Chandler Fire participates in an automatic aid agreement with cities all over the Valley. When you call 9-1-1, your call and location is entered into a computer at the Phoenix Fire Department's Alarm Room. Every fire engine, ladder truck, ambulance, chief's vehicle, etc. is tracked by a Global Positioning System (GPS). The computer will take the information from your call, locate the unit closest to your emergency and dispatch that unit, regardless of the fire department or the city. It is not uncommon to see Tempe fire apparatus in Chandler or Phoenix and vice versa.
  5. Why do firefighters break windows and cut holes in roofs when the fire is inside a building? It seems that they are causing more damage than the fire.
    Fire in a building creates a tremendous amount of heat and smoke. In many instances, firefighters must remove this heat and smoke before they can get close enough to extinguish the fire. The reduced heat and improved visibility allow firefighters to safely and quickly rescue trapped occupants and extinguish the fire. Heat and smoke rise, so cutting a hole in the roof and breaking out windows in strategic locations allows the smoke to vent upwards, allowing cool air to enter the structure from below. We call this "ventilation."
    When a hole is made in the roof, dark smoke and dangerous superheated gases escape because heat and smoke rise. This makes it much easier for the firefighters in the building to see. Another reason is to see how far the fire has progressed.

    One of the fastest avenues through which fires spread is the attic. Heat and smoke rise into the attic where fire can move quickly. Firefighters may go ahead of the fire on a roof, cut holes to access the attic and stop the fire from spreading. By venting the window of a room that's on fire, it actually helps to contain the fire to the room of origin. Otherwise, heated gases spread throughout the inside of a structure. Breaking a window really prevents more damage than it appears to cause.
  6. How much will I be charged if Chandler Fire responds when I call 9-1-1?
    Our services are paid through sales taxes and other taxes collected by the City of Chandler. Therefore, Chandler residents are not charged for fire protection services. If you require emergency transportation via ambulance or helicopter, those entities will charge for the services they render. Ground ambulance rates are set by the Arizona Department of Health Services. Air Ambulance rates are not regulated by any government agency.


  1. What qualifications are needed to be a Chandler Firefighter?
    Please see the qualifications on our Recruitment web pages.
  2. When will the Chandler Fire Department be testing for firefighters?
    Please see the City's Employment Opportunities web page for current job openings.
  3. How do I transfer Paramedic or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification from another jurisdiction?
    Please contact the Arizona Department of Health Services at 602-364-3150.
  4. Will Firefighter, Paramedic or EMT certification help me with employment as a Chandler Firefighter?
    Any job knowledge you obtain prior to becoming a Chandler Firefighter will assist you in performing well in the selection process. However, there are no specific points awarded in your overall testing score for previous experience.
  5. Do I have to go through the Fire Academy if I am already employed as a Firefighter, Paramedic or EMT?
  6. How do I become a Paramedic?
    To become a paramedic, one must first be certified as an EMT-Basic. To apply for to a training program, you must have a sponsor that will agree to employ you as a paramedic. Most training programs want EMT applicants to have one to two years of field experience before enrolling in the paramedic program. After completing the training, the student must take a series of certification examinations. State of Arizona paramedic certification is valid for 2 years and is renewable with certain educational requirements.
  7. Which schools offer classes to become an EMT or Paramedic?
    Most community colleges offer Basic Emergency Medical Technology (EMT) classes. These classes are generally 7 credit hours and many colleges require some basic prerequisite reading abilities prior to taking the class. Colleges, private ambulance companies, and fire departments offer paramedic training; however, many of these classes are limited to members of fire departments or employees of ambulance companies.
  8. Can I volunteer as a Firefighter in Chandler?
    Chandler Fire does not currently support a volunteer firefighter program. If you wish to volunteer in the community through the fire department, please call Chandler Fire Administrative Headquarters at 480-782-2120.
  9. Will a criminal record prevent me from applying for a job as a Chandler Firefighter?
    The City of Chandler considers all applications and evaluates the nature and severity of past criminal history when selecting firefighter candidates. There is no blanket answer to this question as everyone's circumstances are different; however, the department keenly recognizes its obligation to maintain the public trust and screens applicants accordingly.
  10. Do you have a program for young adults interested in the fire service?
    Yes, the Chandler Fire Cadets is specifically designed for young adults interested in the fire service.
  1. How do I check my smoke alarm?
    Every smoke alarm has a test button, usually in the center of the detector. Press the test button and hold for a few seconds. If it is working correctly, the alarm will sound and will automatically stop after a few more seconds. Remember to check your batteries weekly and change the batteries in your smoke detector once a year. Chandler Fire also has a Smoke Detector Check program for seniors and other residents who need assistance.
  2. How do I refill, recharge or check my fire extinguisher?
    CFD does not fill or check fire extinguishers. Please consult the Yellow Pages under "Fire Safety Equipment" for a company capable of providing this service.
  3. Do you give fire extinguisher training?
    No. Please contact the company who provides you with extinguishers or contact an extinguisher company listed in the yellow pages of the phone book for available training programs.
  4. Where can I purchase an escape ladder?
    Any home improvement or big box store.
  1. Does Chandler Fire Department offer CPR classes?
    CPR classes are offered through the Chandler Recreation Division.
  2. When and where can I take my children for vaccinations?
    Chandler Regional Medical Center's Community Outreach Immunization Program, in collaboration with Arizona's Vaccine for Children Program, sponsors free immunization clinics for children, as well as low-cost immunizations for adults. Call the Children Vaccine Hotline at 480-728-3777 or the Adult Vaccine Hotline at 480-728-2004.
  3. Does the fire department do free blood pressure checks?
    Any Chandler Fire Station will do free blood pressure checks without an appointment if station personnel are at the station and not on a call.
  4. How do I get a "Do Not Resuscitate" (DNR) card?
    Information on DNR cards is available at the Arizona Department of Health Services.
  5. How do I replace lost CPR certification documents?
    If you obtained your card from CFD, you can call 480-782-2113.
  6. How do I get my child's car seat inspected?
    You can schedule an appointment to have your car seat installed or checked by a Chandler firefighter trained in child passenger safety. Car seat appointments are scheduled at 480-782-2046.   
  1. How do I find the closest fire hydrant from my house for my insurance company?
    Fire hydrants are generally located at roughly 500-foot intervals in residential neighborhoods and can typically be found at intersections. If you are unable to locate the fire hydrant closest to your home, please contact 480-782-2120.
  2. Who do I call to report a broken hydrant?
    Call the City's Water Distribution staff at 480-782-3700.
  3. Who do I notify about a fire hydrant covered with weeds or brush?
    Please contact Chandler Code Enforcement at 480-782-4320 or the Fire Prevention staff at 480-782-2121.


  1. Can I request to have a fire engine at our block party for a brief time, to give a safety talk and perhaps show the kids the fire engine?
    Yes. Call 480-782-2063 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to schedule a visit from your local station. They will be happy to visit your function and share valuable safety information. These visits are limited to block watch or special events. Our trucks do not attend birthday parties or business events. We will send an apparatus to provide safety talks and demonstrations for non-profit community-based charities.
  2. How do I schedule a Fire Station tour?
    Station tours are available on a limited basis by calling 480-782-2063.
  3. How do I schedule a ride-along with an engine company?
    To arrange a ride-along, call 480-782-2120.
  4. Does the fire department fill or empty pools?
    The Chandler Fire Department does not provide this service.
  5. Do you register bicycles?
    The Chandler Fire Department does not. However, you can contact the Chandler Police Department to do this by calling 480-782-4001.
  6. How do I clean up after a fire/smoke damage?
    Contact a professional contractor that specializes in fire/smoke damage restoration. We also have available a booklet titled "After the Fire," which also is available in Spanish, by calling 480-782-2120.
  7. How does my out-of-town alarm company contact the Fire Department?
    They can call our dispatch center at 602-253-1191.
  8. Who do I contact for assistance with my property's Knox Box.
    A Knox Box or similar rapid entry system provides first responders with non-destructive emergency access to commercial and residential property. For assistance, call 480-782-2120.


  1. How do I get a copy of a fire or emergency medical service (EMS) report?
    EMS reports are $5. Reports can only be requested by the persons involved in the incident, by the parent or legal guardian (with proof of guardianship) of a minor or by subpoena. A signed and notarized medical release form (signed by client or guardian) must accompany a written request by an attorney. Picture ID is required if picking up a report in person. EMS reports are available approximately seven days after the incident.

    Fire reports are public information, with some restrictions, and cost $5. They must be requested in writing to the Fire Marshal's Office at P.O. Box 4008, Mail Stop 801, Chandler AZ 85244-4008 or hand delivered to 151 E. Boston Street. Other information that is also required when requesting these reports includes the date of the incident, location and/or incident number. Fire reports are available 10 to 20 working days after a fire.
  2. How do I obtain other fire-related reports?
    Property Searches regarding hazardous materials records checks, underground storage tanks, previous sites, etc. cost $25 per address. An exact address must be provided. We cannot locate records using parcel numbers. You must submit your request in writing and address it to the Fire Marshal's Office at P.O. Box 4008, Mail Stop 801, Chandler AZ 85244-4008 or hand deliver it to 151 E. Boston Street.


  1. How can I volunteer to assist the Chandler Fire Department?
    The City of Chandler provides volunteer opportunities for those interested to enhance services provided by the City to the community, to learn new skills, and to use their talents while helping others. 
  2. Do you collect clothes and furniture for burn victims?
    No, we do not; there are a number of local charities who may be able to help.
  3. Do you collect toys for children?
    Yes, we collect new, unused toys & bicycles all year long, but especially around the holidays for our Holiday Toy Drive. You can drop them off at any fire station or at our headquarters.
  4. Does the Fire Department want my old car for training purposes?
    The CFD does not accept old cars; however, there are local charities that could benefit from your donation.
  5. Would the Fire Department like to use a vacant structure that I own and plan to demolish for training purposes?
    Yes, on a case-by-case basis, the Chandler Fire Department welcomes the opportunity to use structures set for demolition to aid in training. The department cannot take on any responsibility for removing debris, etc. after the training is complete.
  6. Can I do my school or court-mandated Community Service hours with Chandler Fire?
    The department does not participate in any court-mandated Community Service programs. You can contact other City departments that might need assistance through the City's Human Resources Department.
  7. Who can I contact to post information about my business in all the fire stations and/or offer a special deal or discount to all the firefighters?
    Any discount or deal must apply to firefighting and be offered to all firefighters. If it is an offer from stores, it must be offered to all City employees. All requests must be made through the Chief's Office and the Fire Chief has the final approval. You can contact the Fire Chief's office at 480-782-2120.
  8. Does the Chandler Fire Department donate used bunking gear or equipment?
    No. This equipment is sold at auction.